*** Savannah, Georgia – in the Historic District ***
*** We are registered with the City of Savannah as a Short Term Vacation Rental. Jingle Bells Square House – SVR-00025 ***
In the 1850s, the Reverend John Pierpont Jr. was organist and music director of Savannah’s Unitarian Church, which faces onto Troup Square, one of 24 squares in what is now the city’s Historic District. The square is named for former Georgia Governor, Congressman, and Senator, George Troup. During his tenure, Reverend Pierpont wrote the beloved Christmas song Jingle Bells, which was copyrighted in 1857, originally under another title. In 1985, the City of Savannah placed a plaque in Troup Square to commemorate the song and its Savannah roots.
In 1957, singer/songwriter Bobby Helms recorded Jingle Bell Rock, which has been re-recorded by countless other artists on various pop Christmas albums: “Dancing and prancing in Jingle Bell Square/In the frosty air.” Savannah is a city of contrasts and combinations. “Dashing through the snow, in a one-horse open sleigh . . . ,” blended with temperate weather, palm trees, Spanish moss—a fitting mash-up of images for this fascinating city.
Built in 1885, our House is in a quiet residential neighborhood 50 yards from Troup Square. The two bedroom, two and a half bath property is a full 2 storey house. Fully renovated in 2014, there is ample free street parking—no meters to feed with quarters or daily parking permits required. Within easy walking distance of restaurants (there is one within 100 yards), the Savannah riverfront, and all of the fun and fascination of pre-Civil War historic architecture, beautiful landscaping, antique shops, etc.
On the First Floor:
- The Living Room has a comfortable, queen-size pullout sofa-bed—one that you would actually be happy sleeping on!—custom manufactured by Rowe Furniture in North Carolina, with “Air Dream” innerspring air mattress system. Comfortable chairs,a 55 inch high-definition flat screen TV, and a working fireplace
- Open Kitchen/Dining Room. The Dining Room has an antique trestle dining table that seats six, a 48” high-definition flat screen TV and a second working fireplace
- Full Gourmet Kitchen – quartz countertops, full-size stainless steel refrigerator, gas range, dishwasher, microwave
- There is a half-bath on the first floor, and a full-size desk with Aeron chair for checking your email
- Private Screened Porch.
On the Second Floor:
- Rear Bedroom – with a Queen-Size Bed, flat screen TV and an en-suite bathroom with custom shower.
- Front Bedroom – with two Twin Beds, flat screen TV, and en-suite bathroom with tub/shower combination.
- High-Definition Cable and High-Speed Wireless Internet
- Phone with local telephone number and free calls within the Continental US
- Carefully furnished with original artworks, framed textiles, antiques, and modern accessories.